child graduating

Is your child graduating? Know when your child support ends.

If you pay child support, you may be anticipating the completion of your child support obligation if your child graduates from high school this spring. It is important to refer back to your child support court order. In Tennessee, you are ordered to continue to pay child support until the child turns 18 or the child graduates from high school, whichever happens later.

Many people do not realize that, until a petition is filed with the court to terminate the payments, you are still technically obligated to continue to pay child support, even if your child is 18 and has graduated. This means that your child support garnishment or your obligation to send money will continue until you petition the court and receive a court order to stop payment.

This procedure varies by county. In some counties in Tennessee, it is as simple as filing a motion; however, other counties require you to file a petition to terminate support which takes longer. You should plan ahead to avoid overpayment.

If you need assistance filing a motion or petition to stop child support, contact Nashville child support attorney Lewis Williams at 615-255-2893.